VVOB - education for development in Rwanda is recruiting
an Equity and Gender Advisor
VVOB, The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a Belgian non-profit organisation that focuses on improving the quality of education.
In cooperation with Rwanda Education Board (REB), affiliated Teacher Training Colleges (TTC), and the University of Rwanda – College of Education (URCE), VVOB started a multi-year programme on Leading, Teaching and Learning Together (2017-2021). The cooperation programme aims to improve the quality of primary education through improvement of the professional development of school leaders and induction of new qualified teachers.
Since 2018, VVOB expands this programme in Secondary Education and explores other opportunities for strengthening their support to the Rwandan Government.
Position in the organisation
Equal treatment of men and women has been a fundamental tenet of VVOB and achieving gender equity has become more and more central to our work, making equity and gender cross-cutting themes within our VVOB operations. Therefore, the equity and gender advisor will work closely together with all education advisors within the development and implementation teams, and with the colleagues of the M&E, research and communication department. The equity and gender advisor reports directly to the education manager.
Purpose of the function
The purpose of the function is to provide advice, information and guidance on all equity and gender aspects of our operations in the framework of the joint partner-VVOB programme in Rwanda, with a special focus on gender responsive pedagogy, school leadership and school environments. As such the equity and gender advisor:
- Provides guidance and targeted advisory services to the colleagues and partners on equity and gender aspects across all programme areas;
- Monitors consistency of equity and gender in programme activities with the specific objective and the intermediate results;
- Ensures high quality standards in terms of partnership, relevance, efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of the programme, with a specific focus on equity and gender;
- Acts in accordance to VVOB’s vision, mission, values, policies and guidelines.
To achieve this, the equity and gender advisor acts as an expert, quality caretaker and role model.
As an expert, the equity and gender advisor offers technical advice, guidance and support to the team and partners to achieve programme results. Therefore, the equity and gender advisor:
- Conducts equity and gender analysis for the current programme and new programmes / projects;
- Develops and implements, in consultation with colleagues and partners, equity and gender strategies and action plans for the current programme and new programmes / projects;
- Develops tools and methodologies to further mainstream and monitor equity and gender aspects of the programme;
- Supports and reviews the development of educational materials on all equity and gender related aspects;
- Supports and reviews the development of proposals on all equity and gender related aspects;
- Contributes to internal and external communication, amongst others by writing success stories about equity and gender in education;
- Serves as the gender focal point for Rwanda:
- Represents VVOB in relevant gender working groups and other coordination mechanisms and platforms (related to education) within Rwanda and the region;
- Provides input and technical advice to VVOB organizational wide equity and gender issues and facilitates knowledge management and exchange of best practices on equity and gender within VVOB.
As a quality caretaker and role model, the equity and gender advisor contribute to the quality assurance, including planning, monitoring and evaluation of the programme in order to realize educational change processes supported by the programme. Therefore, the equity and gender advisor:
- Develops tools and methodologies to further mainstream equity and gender aspects of the programme;
- Is responsible for monitoring, evaluating and reporting on all equity and gender related aspects of the activities, outputs, outcomes and impact;
- Organizes and facilitates training activities and other capacity development trajectories for colleagues and partners, to develop their capacities in equity and gender, particularly in education;
- Ensures coherence of the programme with VVOB’s definition of quality education and VVOB’s education portfolio, including gender, environment and equity;
- Ensures compliance with VVOB’s financial policies and guidelines including adherence with accounting and procurement principles and requirements. This involves also the promotion of efficient and responsible use of resources;
- Keep abreast with policy trends, new developments and latest research and thinking in equity and gender in education and international development by external and internal networking and sharing new insights with partners and VVOB colleagues.
Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree (master’s or equivalent) in pedagogical sciences, gender study, development studies, social sciences or any other relevant area, or equivalent by experience;
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience with the education sector and / or international cooperation sector;
- Sound practical experience in mainstreaming gender into projects;
- Extensive knowledge of concepts and tools related to equity and gender mainstreaming, preferably within the education sector;
- Experience in report writing, training and workshop facilitation;
- Knowledge of and/or experience with programme management, preferably Project Cycle Management;
- Experience with change management and capacity development processes in the context of educational institutions like teacher training institutions, in-service providers for teachers and ministries of education is a strong asset;
- Experience in monitoring & evaluation
- Fluent in English, with excellent writing and editing skills;
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda;
- French (additional asset).
VVOB core competences:
- Result orientation
- Continuous improvement
Function specific competences:
- Analytical and synthesizing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 360° Empathy
- Development oriented
How to apply:
Electronic applications will be only considered. Submit a motivation letter and your C.V. addressed to the Program Manager at Recruitment.email@example.com not later than Friday 14th of December 2018 at 5PM.